Pr Eric Souied
Service universitaire d'ophthalmologie
- Public consultation: 01 45 17 52 30
- Private consultation: 01 45 17 52 66 https://www.doctolib.fr/ophtalmologue/creteil/eric-souied/
Secretary:01 45 17 52 22
Patients who want a second opinion and cannot come can reach me securely on https://www.deuxiemeavis.fr/famille/maladies-des-yeux
Doctors wishing a remote expertise opinion can contact me securely on Eyeneed.fr.
Read more: https://www.pro.eyeneed.fr/
Eric Souied, MD, PhD
Professor Eric H SOUIED is head of Department of Ophthalmology at both “Hopital Intercommunal de Creteil” and “Henri Mondor” hospital, in France.
He earned his MD and PhD degrees in 1990-2006, at the University of Paris Est (UPEC) where he also completed his ophthalmology residency with Pr Gabriel COSCAS. He also completed a medical fellowship at the Creteil University Eye Clinic (1996-2000) and a post-doctoral fellowship at the Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles.
His main topics are Medical Retina (AMD, inherited macular and retinal dystrophies) and ophthalmic surgery (retina and cataract).
Professor Eric Souied has contributed to 450 publications published in the areas of age-related macular degeneration (AMD), hereditary retinal diseases, ophthalmic genetics and gene therapy of retinal dystrophies. His main area of research is focusing on genetics, imaging and treatments of AMD.
He was the founder president of the French “Association DMLA” and is the founder president of the French society “Federation France Macula”.
Pr Eric Souied has been nominated in the top 100 Power List, the most influent people in the world of ophthalmology, by the journal « the ophthalmologist » in 2018.
Diplomas, Certificates and titles
- Medical Student, University of Paris Est.
- Resident in Ophthalmology, University of Paris Est.
- Graduate in Human Genetics, Laboratory: INSERM U393 (Josseline Kaplan; Arnold Munnich), Paris. First mutations in inherited retinal dystrophies in France.
- Doctor in Ophthalmology, MD. Silver medallist.
- Fellow in Ophthalmology November 1996- November 2000. Créteil University Eye Clinic (Gisèle Soubrane and Gabriel Coscas). Medical and surgical Fellowship. Main Topics: AMD and macular dystrophies.
- PHD, Doctoral in Science, Human Genetics. Laboratory: INSERM U 393 (Arnold Munnich). Genetic studies in age related macular degeneration.
- Director of Research Habilitation.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Jules Stein Eye Institute (Debora Farber), UCLA, Los Angeles, USA. Gene therapy of retinal dystrophies using non viralvectors.
- Medical and surgical Post-fellowship at the Créteil University Eye Clinic.
- Professor in Ophthalmology at the Creteil University Eye Clinic.
- Head of Ophthalmology Department at Creteil Eye Clinic, University Paris Est.
- “Chef de pole” surgery at the Hospital Intercommunal of Creteil.
- Vice President of the medical council of the Hospital Intercommunal of Creteil.
- President of Committee for Organizing clinical Research at Hospital Intercommunal of Creteil.
- Invited Visiting Professor at University of Hainan, China.
- Visiting full professor at Sackler University, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Nominated "exceptional class professor"
- Molecular Biology research in the field of Genetics of AMD. First paper about ApoE gene and AMD.
- Phenotype-Genotype correlations in wet AMD.
- Clinical research in the field of omega-3 fatty acids and AMD.
- Prevention of AMD.
- Emerging therapies for AMD, Diabetic Macular Oedema, Vein Occlusion, Inherited macular dystrophies.
- PI and/or investigator in phases 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the field of AMD, DME or RVO.
Main prizes and grands
- Prize winner of the French Federation of Blindness (Fédération Aveugles de France).
- Prize winner of research of the French Society of Ophthalmology.
- Prize winner of the Berthe Fouassier foundation.
- Grands for the research about apoE and AMD. APHP Paris.
- Prize winner of clinical research of the Foundation for Medical Research (Fondation Recherche Médicale).
- Prize winner of the University Paris XII (for the PHD thesis).
- ARVO travel Grant: Retina Research Foundation.
- Prosper Veil Prize of the Académie Nationale de Médecine : Genetics of AMD.
- PHRC National. Assistance publique – Hôpitaux de Paris (APHP). Candidate Gene Analysis in AMD.
- Christian Zweng Prize 2006.
- PHRC Regional. APHP. Predisposing factors for bilateralism in AMD.
- Young Investigator Award of Macula Society 2016.
- PHRC National. Assistance publique – Hôpitaux de Paris (APHP). LAdi gaga
Societies and Membership
- French Society of Ophthalmology, since 1994
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, since 2010
- Club Gonin , elected in 2002
- Macula Society, elected in 2003
- Gass Club member, elected in 2017
- American Ophthalmological Society, elected in 2019
I am so proud to be elected as a new member of the American Ophthalmological Society.
AOS is the first specialty society in USA, now celebrating over one hundred and fifty years as a professional organization. The founders established an organizational format that set ethical as well as scientific. Over the years, members of the Society have witnessed and participated in great progress in ophthalmology.
I am just the second French Ophthalmologist admitted in this so prestigious society. I realize this is a great honor for me, and i will do me best to contribute of "the advancement of ophthalmic science and art."
Reviewer for international peer reviewed journal
Ophthalmology – IOVS – American Journal of Ophthalmology - Retina - British Journal of Ophthalmology – Molecular Vision - Acta Ophthalmologica - European Journal of Ophthalmology – Ophthalmic Research – Ophthalmologica - Retinal Cases & Brief Reports –BMJ.
Editorial Board: Point of care Ophthalmology, Global Ophthalmology.
Download the List of Publications